Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Christmas in September


On the way home from work today, I was feeling a bit down. Things haven't been going well at work... they rarely do, but they've gotten a boost in crappiness since the new Fiscal Year Kicked in on the 1st. Yeah, I know it's only the 2nd, but it seems like weeks have passed since yesterday morning. Anyway, I was on my way home and feeling sort of crabby. There is a particular piece of property that I pass every day that has a menagerie of animals inside a large fenced field. I've made a habit of looking that way every day, twice a day just to see what I can see on any given day. Sometimes there are donkeys (burros), emus, goats, sheep, llamas... semi-exotic fare.

So today, I'm driving home and I look over there and what do I see but a spanking new little burro. He was a real fine looking little fellow and suddenly my mind was sent back to all the Christmas Nativity scenes I've witnessed over the years. Invariably, the larger, more elaborate Nativities always include a baby burro, along with a lamb, maybe a bunny and baby camel. Baby animals and my spirits were lifted immediately, thinking of all those Christmases and all those cookies and pies and presents under the trees and pretty lights and wonderful, but old and worn out music... It seems I never get tired of Christmas and all its trappings.

Of course, by the time I got home, I was depressed thinking of one of the depressing things occurring at work right now. Ramadan. The Muslim holiday... holiday takes on a whole new meaning in the world of Islam. Ramadan would have to be their greatest holiday of the year which puts it in line with Christmas and Hanukka (sp?). Now as far as I know, Christmas and Hanukka are joyous seasons with lots of merry-making and feasting and enjoying friends and family. Ramadan, on the other hand, requires 30 days of fasting all day, lots of prayers on hands and knees. Hmmmm. When you compare the two... well, you decide.

2 comments:

  1. Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year (except for that Staples commercial in the end of August when the parents are singing "it's the most wonderful time of the year....")

    I'm Ukranian and Christmas Eve is a big Ukranian food night. God help me, I hate Ukranian food (no offense, Grandma!) So eating that dinner is my own form of suffering. Yet, still and all, Christmas Eve will always be my favorite day of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ukranian! What a wonderful heritage. I tried to eat some Hungarian food once and my tongue is forever scarred from the spices! Ouch! Christmas Eve is second only to All Hallow's Eve... of course, you knew I would love Halloween, didn't you? In Tempo Rubato, my main character runs afoul of some KGB types, but of course they are Russian, not Ukranian. I modeled them after Natasha and Boris Badenof from Rock and Bullwinkle. Ha!!

    ReplyDelete