Friday, June 19, 2009

Epiff Annie's

Well, another week has passed and gone with it are a number of glorious sunsets, beautiful sunrises and at least one rainstorm. Today is a holiday in our fabulous state which is, as they say, a whole ’nother country. I’ve spent a lot of time this week getting my second book The King of Terrors ready for publication on Amazon.com in paperback form. I have come to the conclusion that it will never be perfect and will simply have to face the world with all its little faults and imperfections intact as we all must do. As it stands ready for criticism, I must give it a life of its own and hope that it can stand up to the opinions of strangers without whom it would have little meaning. The point of writing is to have someone read it. With this frightening inevitability in mind, writers send their children, their books out into the world to face the unknown. We can only hope that they may find more favor than fault with their readers and establish themselves a place in the world of literary works deserving of at least some bit of praise now and again. My work may appeal to a wide audience and especially to persons who are not necessarily interested in conspiracy theories, ancient secrets revealed, Templars, the Holy Grail, the Ark of the Covenant, etceteras because it has a wonderful love story embedded in it, along with a few spicy scenes between the leading characters. It has action and adventure along the lines of Indiana Jones and it has mystery and intrigue on the order of such writers as Stephen King and Dan Brown combined. There is something for everyone. It has been a very trying experience, editing the story, but still a work of love as I am entirely devoted to my characters and their demands. The books were a life study for me with many realizations coming from seemingly nowhere. The epiphanies I received and the strange understanding of things heretofore mysterious to me made the writing an almost spiritual journey. It is my understanding that many writers have this same sort of experience and are forever trying to share with those who do not write. I have no idea if anyone has ever managed to give anyone a real description of it though I have had a few friends and non-professional editors/reviewers comment on the fact that many of my characters and/or their actions or ideas conveyed some personal meaning to their lives. I am always honored to hear these comments, though I can’t answer their questions concerning the how or why of it.

1 comment:

  1. I've quite enjoyed the stories... I really have. The idea that you've been working on your books for nearly 15 years is amazing in of itself. I can't even concentrate on anything for longer than 15 minutes... HA!

    But, you already knew that... You know EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete