Monday, June 22, 2009

The Sheer Joy of It


What I am so happy about? I just went to a new dentist and for the first time in my life, I actually came away smiling. My insurance paid all but $5, he used laughing gas, he fixed my tooth in less than an hour and he told absolutely horrible jokes that were funny.


At least I know where my fear and loathing of dentists and dental work came from. My most memorable dentist visit was while serving in the military. The tooth wouldn't come out and the dentist climbed into my lap and locked onto it... before the novacaine took effect. Now keep in mind that these fellows, though fledgling dentists, are commissioned officers. The event was not only memorable due to the excruciating pain, but because of the immortal words I uttered to this venerable man of medicine. I said "What the f*** are you doing in my lap?!" Then I punched him in his ribs. He gave me more novacaine and my face was numb for three days.


Hmmmmmmmm. But today I am happy, happy, happy and who knows? Dr. McLean might even be that anonymous dentist I punched out all those years ago. ;) Hurrah for Dr. McLean!!!

I'm even looking forward to going back for a cleaning and X-rays next month. And you know what else was great about the good doc and his staff? They didn't come into the room looking like they were prepared for the next shuttle launch. That always makes you feel a little insecure when the staff comes in wearing helmets, paper suits and rubber gloves. You start getting a little paranoid and when they turn on the bright lights, you suddenly have flashbacks of all your alien abductions where the Grays were firing up their various probes. >:O

No comments:

Post a Comment